|Project by lateralus819||posted 01-10-2015 03:27 AM||1438 views||5 times favorited||10 comments|
Hello once again. Here is a recently finished project I did for my wife for Christmas.
Took way too long to build. Ruined one side upon dry assembly. Then when wedging forgot the bottom shelf. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, but i learned from every one!
I was browsing BigReds FB and noticed a really neat bookshelf he had built and thought i would be something I would like to build. While it looked nothing like mine, what I did like was that the shelves were 45 degrees instead of 90. I thought it a really neat and different approach to a common application.
I found a plan that was based off a stickley. Tapered sides, a decorative half moon cut-out on the feet, and a handle at the top.
The top caps were tricky to make, as i the only router capable of handling the massive bit was my Bosch 1617. Being the piece is only 3” wide left me with less than an inch of usable surface to register from. Needless to say it took a long time to make. Probably an hour or so just to error on the side of caution!
I thought those added decorations weren’t my style so i put my own approach on it with Ogee details on the feet and a decorative top cap. Wedges complete the look.
BigRed and I have been talking a lot lately and he’s been a big help. He convinced me to try wedges for the first time. I’m glad he did! It adds a very nice visual contrast and definitely improves the structural integrity of the piece.
The main wood is Quartersawn African Mahogany with Wenge accents. I think these two work wonderfully together. Wenge is such a treat to work with and it finishes NICELY! The finish is a mixture of Natural danish oil and vintage maple trans-tint dye. Followed by beeswax as per usual. My wife loved it and I love looking at it and knowing it’s in MY house! Finally a project i get to keep!!