|Project by Thomas Porter||posted 1838 days ago||4998 views||11 times favorited||11 comments|
NOTE TO THOSE WHO WANT TO DO THIS…
Please don’t use regular grout like me. The wood shrinks slightly and is allowed to move because of the urethane adhesive remaining pliable. There’s tiny little cracks where the wood has separated on the outer tiles in the room. It’s not going to weather well, so I’m replacing the grout in the near future. Thank goodness endgrain floors are cheap material cost. :-) Everything else I did was fine, but the grout was an experiment that proved bad. I’ll leave this project here so you can see it, but be warned – I have now decided to try other grout mixes using flexible wood filler or epoxy/resin/sawdust mixes.
Here’s another one of my endgrain floors. This one is directly adhered to the floor with a urethane adhesive and grouted just like tile. This floor has more oil-based poly coats because I wanted to make sure it was waterproof. The floor just beads the water. It’s pretty cool. I still have to clean up some of the loose grout on the edges, but for the most part this room is done! On to another room. You can see my blog on endgrain floors to see how I do it with a subfloor.
In addition to the floor, we did stone around the new jacuzzi tub. We added all new fixtures, toilet, and we turned an antique dresser into a great base for the vessel sink. I’ll try to pull up the old pictures of the bathroom so you can see how different it was before. Look for those pics a bit later…
-- Thomas Porter, Phoenix, AZ, www.thomasporter.com