|Project by Brit||posted 01-01-2015 10:56 AM||2291 views||0 times favorited||24 comments|
I recently restored a set of I. Sorby English mortise chisels, but the 5/16” one needed a new handle, due to an old woodworm attack and someone beating on it with a metal hammer.
I had an old Jack plane that was surplus to requirements, so I was able to use some old dry beech for the new handle. I was a bit worried about drilling the stepped hole because I was doing it by hand and it needed to be accurate, but after much pontificating, I kicked myself up the jacksie and told myself to ”just do it”.
Then I used a 1/4” and 1/8” chisel to enlarge the hole to match the taper of the tang, which tapered in two directions. The handle is held on by compression, so when the tang was a snug fit with about 3/4” of the tang still protruding from the hole, I lowered the blade into one of the dog holes on my old workmate so it rested on the bolster and pounded the life out of it to drive it home. Thankfully it went without incident and seated nicely first time. Just as well, as I don’t think it will ever come off again in one piece.
Once the wooden blank was on the blade, I shaped it first with a couple of drawknives, then a rasp, then a file, then sanded to P180. Once it felt right, I filed in the convex shape to the top of the handle in both directions and eased the edge. Two coats of BLO and it was as good as new.
Thanks for looking.
-- Andy -- "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." (Michelangelo)