|Project by Karson||posted 11-19-2008 01:59 AM||2675 views||2 times favorited||21 comments|
Look out Mark DeCou. I’m coming.
My Mother-in-law has been visiting for a week and I was hurrying to get some of the kitchen cabinets done, so I had not been working on a project for her.
She is 86 and is starting to use a cane because she is not as nimble as she used to be and her skin is quite thin and cut and bruises easily. She asked for the cane about a month ago. I didn’t have a lathe that had a big enough span to mount a cane blank so I bought a Penn State Industries Mini lathe with an extension section I guess I tried to sneak it into the shop but my wife found out. Since it was for her mother it made it a little easier to swallow.
But, I didn’t have a chance to do anything because of the kitchen project. My mother-in-law showed up last Wednesday and when we picked her up we went to one of my daughters home in Virginia. We stayed there until Friday. One the way home I got a call from my daughter and she asked if I knew what we had forgotten at her home. Grandma’s cane.
So we didn’t get home until late Sat night after visiting 3 additional children, and Grandma was only going to be here until Wed morning, And today is Tues so I started on the cane.
I got a piece of 2 X 2 Sapele
and cut a 1 1/8” blank out of it.
I mounted it in the lathe but first I drilled a 3/8” hole on the top end using a drill chuck in the tail stock. I drilled it 3” deep. The drill chuck and bit is visible under the table surface. The blank was then mounted in a live center and I started to turn it down. This was all done before 8:30 this morning.
After taking my son to school, I got started back at it again. I tapered it from 1” to 3/4” over the 25” length I needed for the shaft. The final 3” was cut another 1/16” so that the brass tube could be put on the shaft.
I cut off the mounting section of the blank.
I then drew a sample of the handle piece I needed.
I took a piece of Sapele 1” thick and resawed it into 2 1/2” thick sections. I then took another piece and cut a 1/4” slice off.
The three pieces were laminated together like a big piece of plywood. The 1/4” slice went cross grain from the other 2 pieces. The wood was glued with epoxy glue.
My brother-in-law was here also and We were working on the cane so I failed to take any more pictures.
The block was mounted in the drill press and I drilled another 3/8” hole 3” deep into the handle section. I then drew the handle design around the drilled hole.
I cut the profile on the bandsaw, sanded it smooth so that a 1/2” round over router bit would take off the edge wood.
From there it was hand sanding to adjust the feel of the handle. Since I was making a Corian top on my kitchen I decided to use 1 1/4” slice of Corian as the accent piece at the joint of the shaft and the handle.
The two sections were glued together with a 6” piece of all thread. A piece of threaded rod that started out at 3’ long. The sections were glued together with epoxy glue. Final sanding to get the joint pieces matched up.
Put finish on it and polished the brass tip, Put on a replaceable rubber tip in the shaft. and had it in the house in 4 hours.
My wife now wants one. Why I’m not sure.
I think I’ll make a ball bearing steady rest for it also. The shaft sure vibrated as I was taking off the wood.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †