|Project by MrLaughingbrook||posted 12-26-2014 06:07 PM||721 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
A few months ago I bought my first bandsaw and this set of oak boxes was my first project using it. I wanted to learn to resaw, miter, and spline a box with grain flowing all around. The stock was all from the scrap pile. My objectives were to understand how much thickness I could yield from resawn 3/4 inches, how big is the loss in box height from bandsaw kerf/sanding to cut off the top (0.03 should help me distribute the splines evenly next set), how to label and organize parts effectively, and how to spline corners.
1. Three are 6×9 x 2 1/4 inches using 4/4 (really 3/4”). Two are red oak and one is white. After the resaw and plane work I had 0.280 thickness for the box sides. The top and floor are 1/4 inch plywood. The splines are 1/8th inch red oak. I built them closed and used the bandsaw to cut open the top. The hinges are very inexpensive brass plated from Rockler. Most have latches from Woodcraft, one has a brass hook clasp. I noticed at this point that my “flat top” rip blade was not actually. The splines could not seat fully due to a small ridge on each side of the groove.
2. One is 6×8 x 3 1/2 inches using 4/4 white oak for the sides and red oak ply for the top and floor. Splines are 1/8th inch white oak. Built closed and top cut off at the bandsaw.
3. One is 6×6 x 4 1/4 inches using 4/4 red oak for the sides. Solid white oak for top and floor. Splines are 1/8th inch white oak. Built closed with the sides dado cut on the inside before assembly then an offset dado to meet it was cut from the outside on the table saw to form a lip.
4. The large box with the nice brass hardware is for my daughter. She requested a “treasure” box big enough to hold playbills without folding. 9×12 x 6 interior inches using 4/ 4 white oak throughout. Built closed with the sides dado cut on the inside before assembly then an offset dado to meet it was cut from the outside on the table saw to form a lip. The hardware is solid brass. The hasp was surprisingly inexpensive from http://www.downwindmarine.com and is very thick. The hinges are from Rocker. For this one, I reshaped the spline pieces to accommodate the less than square bottomed slot. Next time I’ll buy a better rip blade.
A picture while waiting for the glue to dry on the splines:
A picture from just after hinges were installed: