|Project by PhilosopherSteve||posted 12-26-2014 03:47 PM||1050 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
My wife’s Christmas present. This is made entirely of cherry, 3/8” thick. The lumber came from my grandfather’s shop after he passed away a few years ago – so now he can live on a bit more. The finish was Watco Danish Oil, natural, followed by several coats of Minwax wipe on satin poly.
This project had several first for me. I worked in much thinner stock – I normally do larger pieces with 3/4” or 7/8” thickness. I must say, I enjoyed the finer work, everything is lighter and it is good practice for the box work I’m getting into. This was my first time oiling a piece and I can honestly say I love it – the oil really enhances the cherry and it’s a snap to apply.
This also proved once again that I don’t like following published plans. I wanted to work fast so I didn’t draw it up myself and I always find issues when I don’t design it personally. I ended up not hinging the top to the back as it was tough to source piano hinge for that (I ordered the recommended hinge and it was much too small and I didn’t have time for a replacement). A measurement or two are usually wrong somewhere too.
My trouble with the hinge, though, gave me the idea to put two blocks down at the bottom of the lid so it stay in place, and is completely removable which is kinda nice. Plus I get a clean look on the whole top with the piano hinge sticking up. Unfortunately, I had finish applied when I thought of what else I could do. I could have hinged the top to the front, then installed a hinged stand under the lid and added a rack to the inside back of the case to make the top an adjustable reading stand. Maybe next time …