|Project by Karson||posted 09-08-2006 05:05 AM||24919 views||15 times favorited||36 comments|
The project that I’ve most recently completed is a Baby Cradle / Glider. The cradle uses a glider function instead of a swinging function. This was selected because if was felt that it could be more soothing to the baby or in this case babies. (Twins) It was felt that a cradle has a life span of a few months but a glider becomes a piece of furniture that can be used forever.
My daughter was concerned about having two babies in her arms and having to lean over the edge of a cradle and gently place the babies down without dropping them. It was for this reason that I made a drop down front on the cradle. I also made two lengths of swing arms. The short ones would place the mattress height at 28” above the floor, about kitchen table height. This would require very little bending over to place the babies in their bed.
When the short arms are replaced with the long arms then the cradle/glider has a seat base of about 18” off the floor. Because there are no moving parts in the front of the cradle, then a stool could be placed there to allow the toddlers to climb into the cradle.
Sliding catches are used to hold the folding side up. A full length piano hinge holds the upper drop-down side to the lower section. The whole front section is removable to convert to a glider.
The cradle was constructed with Black Walnut for the base wood, maple spindles and Walnut Burl veneer on Walnut for the raised panels. The mattress base was made with ¾” plywood with Waterfall Bubinga veneer applied to both sides. The legs and the cradle had ball bearings pressed into each side. The hangers has 3/8 – 16 T-Nuts pressed onto arms. The hanger bolts were ½” shoulder bolts that are normally used for lawn mower axle bolts. The ½” portion went thru the bearings and the 3/8” threads screwed into the t-nuts. The heads of the bolts were epoxied into wooden knobs so no tools are required to disassemble. The finish was Danish Oil covered with three coats of Amber shellac sprayed then sanded. The top coats were clear French Polish. Additional pictures of the construction of this cradle and another one with Curly Cherry can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/karson. Select sets and the pictures seem to be the last set in the series.
Some construction photos are posted in the Cherry / Maple cradle below.
I found some replacement bearings that could be used for the hangers in this cradle FR6-2RS Sealed Ball Bearings, or FR6-ZZ Shielded Ball Bearings
The cheapest that I found is at usabearingsandbelts.com
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †