|Project by USCJeff||posted 12-25-2014 12:39 AM||659 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Haven’t been doing much turning the last year or so. After a recent Scouting activity in which the boys used my lathe, I got the urge to play around with it more often. I’ve done stoppers once before and they’re honestly very easy as far as turning goes. That said, I did hit some unforeseen obstacles (always do). I already had a PSI chuck designed for making them. The center two used the same hardware as my my prior stoppers. Piece of cake using and mounting it with the chuck. The outer two have completely different diameter threaded rods which makes rules out using the chuck I owned. Had to get a little inventive mounting them. Both of those two required me squaring the side that meets the hardware slightly as the mounting adjusted slightly during the turning process.
I did learn that using a 4 prong head stock is risky on the plastics. I destroyed a rhinoplastic blank tapping it with a mallet. Used the rosewood species on the far right as a replacement. It all worked out in the end. Buffing them made the finish look great and removed some imperfections.
-- Jeff, South Carolina