|Project by Buckeyes85||posted 12-24-2014 07:43 PM||2152 views||20 times favorited||5 comments|
Built this out of scraps from other projects – mostly the cherry from the recent gun cabinet. There’s also a little walnut, oak, and poplar in here too in addition to the formica over MDF for the base and tops. Used the Stumpy Nubs plans (roughly) but not exactly. The drawers are just dowel-pinned. I turned the pulls which don’t all match on purpose – was trying some different profiles. The triangles on the back of the disc drawers are mainly to keep the drawer from flipping out as you pull the drawer out.
The modified drawers for the discs were an assembly challenge. I didn’t want traditional sides because that would make the discs hard to remove. Built a jig to help and used Nexabond 2500 glue for the quick set up. That stuff is really good. The dowels to hold the discs are 5/16 and wedge-tennoned them in place.
The top of the drawer side is attached with blind dowels. I put T-nuts in in the top over the large drawer to screw the machine into.
Partway through the build it dawned on me that the $50 tool bar wasn’t going to work with this set up which was a bummer because I do use it. After mulling various solutions I discovered it could be flipped over and mounted in the slots from the underside and it works fine. If you were starting from scratch you could just built it so the disc storage is to the left of the machine vs the right.
Finish is a combination of Trans-tint dyes followed by Bartley Gel Varnish.
a few more pics