|Project by maplerock||posted 12-24-2014 07:22 PM||878 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
It has been a while fellow Lumberjocks! I have not been idle however, just working away like a hyperactive elf. This little project came about out of necessity. My TV takes a remote, my DVD player takes a remote, the cable box has a remote, my Roku has one too. They are everywhere. They fall into the crack in my recliner. They slip under the couch. It was ridiculous.
I could have bought a remote caddy to slip over the arm of my recliner, but they seem tacky. And I’m sure there are others on the market, and probably some better designs than this one. I like this one though, it’s pretty, and useful. Perhaps a bit bulky, but it gets the job done.
It is about 10 1/2 inches long, 4 1/2” wide, and about 5 inches tall. This one is made of Cherry with Afrimosia splines. I incorporated a small compartment for a cell phone, glasses, etc.
I used a 1/2” dado for the floor, and another for the top. Before assembly (after cutting the top to size) I held each remote up and marked it’s outer dimensions. Then I drilled each end and scroll sawed out the rest. Then I rounded over the edges and assembled it. I have a Ridgid oscillating sander to smooth the blade marks.
Since making this one I made another that I actually like better. I used a 1 1/2” forstner bit for each end of the opening in it… thus no scroll saw. Just completed the openings with the sander.
Not a masterpiece, but useful and pretty. I like it, and I hope you guys do too!
-- Jerry... making sawdust in the Knobs of Southern Indiana