|Project by Picken5||posted 12-24-2014 05:01 PM||1126 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
We remodeled our master bath earlier this year and I decided to make the counter tops myself from Bubinga. We had hired a contractor for most of the job and he was a bit concerned about a “homeowner” doing something as important as the counters, but he reluctantly agreed. He told me after the job was done that he’s had some other customers on other jobs do part of the work and it didn’t turn out too well — which could potentially affect his reputation. He was pretty happy with my work, and I was too. The substrate of the counter is two layers of MDF — one 3/4” and one 1/2” — screwed and glued together. The Bubinga was planed to 1/2” thickness and glued to the MDF. I finished the entire counter with copious amounts of Danish oil (natural, of course) and later applied about 6 coats of wipe-on polyurethane. The photos show the main counter as well as the counter for the vanity. After those were done, my contractor suggested making the shelf in our “potty room” from the same Bubinga — which is exactly what I did.
-- Howard - "Time spent making sawdust is not deducted from one's lifetime." - old Scottish proverb