|Project by Andygulfcoast||posted 12-23-2014 01:40 PM||3311 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
As a hobbyist woodworker, I try learn one new thing with each project. My “new thing” can be learning to use a new tool, or a new technique. This project had a few firsts for me.
- First time using mortise and tenon joinery (first time building anything without screws or nails actually).
- First time doing large glue-ups
- First time using a jointer and planer
- First time working on such a HEAVY project (I didn’t expect this to be a “first” of any importance, but it added another learning curve to this project)
- First time drawboring joints
I read and reread Christopher Schwarz’s book “Workbenches”. I followed his plans mostly to the letter. The finished dimensions of the top are 24” x 92”, and the top is 32” from the floor. The bench is all SY Pine as Schwarz recommended.
I finished this stage of construction in March ‘14, and I still plan to add a sliding deadman, lower shelf, and at least one built-in vice.
Thanks for looking