|Project by douglbe||posted 11-06-2008 06:02 AM||1892 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
A couple of display cases for my wife. Red oak (rough sawn lumber that I found in an add and I ended up paying roughly $.50 a board foot) with tung oil finish. I used my new Porter-Cable biscuit jointer and this is the first time I have used biscuits when gluing boards together, the joints were flush and no major scraping or sanding to level things out, that was great. My skills must be improving, when I glued up and clamped the carcasses they both were dead on square and all measurements were equal top to bottom and side to side and equal between the two of them. Now, the inset doors were a different story, I used non-mortise hinges and my reveal did not come out even all the way around. The doors are square, but I had to take a little off one side to help out the reveal. I bought the hinges at Menards and the screw heads were to big and did not lay flush in the countersink. I ended up enlarging the countersink holes. In the end I managed to make everything work.
-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan