|Project by Calmudgeon||posted 12-14-2014 04:48 PM||3926 views||7 times favorited||5 comments|
This project has a very narrow audience – those owners of Delta Unisaws with the original Unifence. While there is much to like about the Unifence, adaptation and jig-friendliness are not among them.
So, the other day I decided to tackle those problems by making use of a few scraps I had kicking around the shop. This is the result.
In its vertical orientation, the original fence is exactly 2” wide. I wanted to duplicate this width so that readings on the fence’s cursor/tape measure would still be accurate. Two thicknesses of 3/4” maple plywood and one layer of 1/2” MDF did the trick. I would have liked to avoid the MDF, but it was the only true 1/2” material I had at hand. (Yes, yes, I know I could have milled some solid material, but …) After attaching this to the Main fence, I found that it had too much flex, so I fashioned the box out of some more scraps to increase rigidity. The result is every bit as rigid as the aluminum original.
If anyone is interested, the fence mount is exactly 3.25” wide, so the box is constructed to fit tightly over that width.
I made a deliberate decision to mount the fence in a fixed location (not sliding) for simplicity’s sake. The 4’ length makes any sliding adjustment unnecessary.
The added functionality comes by way of two lengths of t-track that I had lying around. In the photos, you can see one of these used in conjunction with Jessem’s Clear Cut Stock Guides (the router table version, not the new table saw version). This worked great to hold down the wrap-around moulding I was working on, so that the dado set carved out a consistent depth.
The final step was to give it a few coats of danish oil to provide some protection. Now I just need to work on a few more jigs to make use of it. All in all, it’s not light, and it’s not exactly pretty, but it is functional.
-- "As are the things we make, so are we ourselves." - Lin Yutang