|Project by Junado||posted 12-11-2014 03:36 PM||1344 views||5 times favorited||3 comments|
This is a writing table/writing desk I made two months ago. The design is not mine and was found by a friend who wanted a table/desk (credit to http://www.degaspemfg.com/ for the design). Really liked it, so I made two and kept one of the two desks. The first photo is of my desk, where it sits now (excuse the mess/boxes, I was moving). The other “complete” desk photos is from the other desk.
The top is laminated from 6/4 cherry and two walnut stripes. I wanted a (roughly) 24”x60” surface and could only get cherry in 8’ or 10’ lengths (slightly oversized) at my hardwood dealer, so I had to live with some checks/cracks and knots in order to keep the cost reasonable. The third photo shows the extent of epoxy filling that had to be done (both show the bottom of the desks).
Biggest challenge for me was figuring out a way to hang the drawer under the desk without gluing a cross grain joint. I ended up using sliding dovetails that are only glued in the front 4-5” so as to keep the drawer face lined up. It’s very dry at my place now and the back of the drawer “hangers” are protruding the desk by a little less than 1/8” (they were slightly inset when built).
I used full extension drawer slides thinking the drawer would be used a lot, but I’m not sure I will use them again. They are a bit of a pain in the ass to line up and don’t really work better than wood on wood slides. You can’t see it on the photos, but the drawer is dovetailed (I enjoy cutting dovetails).
The legs were made by the friend for whom I made the desk. They’re screwed to the top in oversized holes to allow the wood to move. They’re just clear coated with Rustoleum clear, matte, paint.
Finish is Watco danish oil over a light coat of shellac (1lb cut) to reduce blotching. I was looking for a close to the wood finish, but I’m not entirely happy with it. The last (third) coat of danish oil applied to the top built up thicker than I expected and it’s a little glossier than I’d like, but it’s a little more protective, so it will stay this way for now. I’m guessing it built up so quick because of the sealing coat of shellac (it was the first time I used shellac to seal cherry).
Thanks for reading through !