|Project by Gianni||posted 12-11-2014 01:34 AM||1082 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Finally got around to wrapping these up. A while back I posted a drill indexing jig for making these and have just been busy doing other Christmas project stuff.
The boards were drilled using the jig, then for the multi-species ones I ripped the blank, cut the edges straight using the jointing jig on the table saw, and joined up the panels. Once I had the blank for the top squared up, I bevel cut the edges at 15 degrees and then built the boxes around them. Original plan was to rout the holes for the deck and pegs, but that failed twice so I just gave up and built the boxes using resawn lumber and table saw rips.
The tops are a sliding fit/long dovetails with enough friction to hold them in place when closed. The very first one I crossed the grain direction on the end rails, but after considering that humidity might tighten up the dovetail, I did the others with the grain running the same direction as the rest of the board.
The two figured walnut pieces came out of some shorts I picked up about a year ago as odds and ends. Got them dirt cheap and I loved the craziness of the grain patterns. Perfect for small projects like this.