Garden Bench from construction lumber

  • Advertise with us
Project by Silverhill posted 12-10-2014 06:21 PM 1875 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is not much of a woodworking project as it was more of a carpentry project. But it is my latest project. It is not an original, it is a stock plan from the Yella Wood site, here:

My original idea was to build it from treated wood, with untreated seat slats and back slats. I was going to let it weather in to a nice patina, naturally. Well, I was not thinking when I started the build. I just grabbed the untreated wood and went to it, just cutting and fitting, gluing and screwing, and having fun. After the point of no return, I realized my mistake. Hmmm… what to do about it. Continue and have a garden bench that will not last but a few years, or trash what I had and start over with the treated wood. Decisions, decisions, it was not as much fun now. I decided to keep going forward with it, but use treated wood for the legs since they contact the ground. I will just build a second bench with the treated wood that I had bought and buy more untreated for the seat slats. About this time, I realized mistake #2. My original plan was to narrow the seating to 48” to get 2 slats from an 8’ board. Another trip to the Box store for additional untreated. At this point I was asking myself, where did the fun go?

In each project, I try to incorporate something new so as to be learning or getting experience at new things. On the build, I hid the screw heads that I mounted the arms and the very front bottom slat with. I knew that using pine, that tearout would be an issue. I went forward anyway; drilling, and sinking the deck screws and plugging the holes with pieces of dowel.

As I got closer to being finished, I decided that It should be painted to help preserve the wood a little longer. My wife and I agreed on the color. It was the pale yellow that our garage was painted with, and just happened to have a gallon of it on hand. I left the treated wood legs unpainted till they dry out in a couple of months.

Along with my original plan to narrow the seating to 48”, I also adjusted the seat height and arm height to fit me, but try to keep the proportions in line with the original. It is a comfortable fit for me. I also used 2×6 for the arms, and for the front seat slat.

The third picture shows my impromptu miter saw extension arraignment. In time I will deal with that situation.

Thanks for looking at my latest, and thanks for any comments and as always, constructive criticism welcomed.

-- 1st Cor. 15:1-4

2 comments so far

View Michael's profile


201 posts in 2421 days

#1 posted 12-11-2014 02:45 AM

Looks good!

-- "A woodworking project is either a masterpiece or a POS" Dr. Lang

View Silverhill's profile


100 posts in 1068 days

#2 posted 12-12-2014 01:22 AM

Michael—- You have some very nice benches and chairs on your projects page. I am amazed at them.

I’m just a Noob at woodworking! I hope to make nicer ones as I progress.

-- 1st Cor. 15:1-4

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics