|Project by barringerfurniture||posted 12-10-2014 03:38 AM||3039 views||22 times favorited||17 comments|
Hi everyone. Here’s a chest I just delivered. It’s Black Walnut and Curly Maple. The customer requested lots of sapwood in the Walnut to match an existing piece. The match came pretty close but not exact. I did the best I could.
I have to go back and install a lid stay as soon as it arrives.
This is the second time I’ve used a homemade finish – one to three parts BLO, mineral spirits and polyurethane. I mixed a bit light on the poly for the third coat because it seemed to build a surface pretty quick. Two coats of paste wax followed.
Lately Ive been leaving handplane scallops in mostly unseen parts like underneath the lid and on the bottom. I don’t do a final smoothing there or sanding. I like it as a sign to others that the surfaces were planed by hand. So far no one seems to mind. I think it’s cool.
Thanks for looking. Happy holidays.
-- Scott Barringer, Sacramento, CA barringerfinefurniture.com