|Project by Jim Sellers||posted 12-08-2014 05:41 AM||1507 views||3 times favorited||9 comments|
One good thing about this type of box is that the tops are interchangeable. So let’s not judge this box by the top(s).
This whole project started out as just an experiment.The tambour panels are very easy to put together and can be easily searched and found on youtube. I had the idea of gluing a simple marquetry tape-up to a tambour panel and slicing it loose at the breaks. Although the motif might not appeal to anyone other than a twisted minded old man such as myself, the process worked quite well. I used “heat-lock” iron on glue from Joe woodworker. Mostly zebrawood and a few other various veneers. Only 16 pieces. I have a few ideas for different (more tastefully) styled tops so I’m planning on making more. But forget the tops and consider the box. I suppose it’s the first one of its kind so this would be the prototype. Had a visual on the shape in mind so made a template, cut the sides and figured the rest out as I went. Was pleased and surprised at how well things just took shape and fell into place…......... Originally was just going to have a bottom drawer and a couple of open shelves behind the top. Once I had the frame and bottom drawer together, realized I could get in 3 more drawers and a top tray. (no wasted space in this box).
Oh, almost forgot to mention, the sides and drawer fronts are Mahogany which I stained. Everything else is natural color.. It measures 12”h by 9.5×9.5. It’s finished with satin poly. For the tambour top I used wipe on. I’ve always hated the stuff until now. It’s best for the top because it goes on so thin and less likely to seal sections together. You just have to put on a couple more coats. Black velvet on bottoms of the 4 drawers and top tray. This box has not a single piece of metal or hardware.
-- J.C.Sellers, Norcross, Ga. Just cut it right the first time. The best carpenters make the fewest chips.