|Project by sawdustjunkie||posted 12-05-2014 01:13 AM||1075 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
I built this horse last Christmas for my Grand Daughter.
Made of Hard Maple from a Rockler Plan. There are no screws visible anywhere. I counter sunk them and either put wood buttons or dowel into each hole.
Please ignore the dates on the first two pictures. Was from my wife’s camera and she never changes the date.
The main and tail are made of synthetic yarn that had 4 strands per piece which I split up to make it full.
I drilled 150 holes in the head and neck inserted the yarn into each hole.
I made a small tool to stuff each piece of yarn into a hole with glue in it.
The tail has about 200 strands of yarn and placed into the tail that I drilled a 1” hole into.
Ears are made of leather that is inserted into slots and then put a small dowel so they won’t come out if pulled.
My daughter says the grand daughter rides it every day, but will only ride it with her Cowboy hat on.
It was a fun project, but lots and lots of work. It took 2 nights of work to separate all the yarn strands after they were all glued into the holes.
The best part is seeing her on the horse rocking and yelling gettiup horse. She even takes her hat off and waves it while she rides.
-- Steve: Franklin, WI