|Project by ay1978pa||posted 12-04-2014 03:14 AM||750 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This is a purely decorative piece that took me three years and two house moves to finish. It has emotional significance for me though. I took my sons for a walk in the local park and we found a nice branch that got broken off by the wind. We took it home, stripped the bark and sanded it. My son painted designs on one of the branches with acrylic paint. After that the project got abandoned. I couldn’t come up with an idea for the base, and it was lying in the basement collecting dust.
My kids have since moved to Europe with my ex-wife. Sadly, I only see them once or twice a year. Luckily, they are coming over this Christmas for two weeks, and I wanted to finish this project we started together and get some sort of closure.
I cleaned the dust off the branches and finished them with a couple of layers of wiping poly. For the base, I just took a fire log off the pile in the yard and trimmed it with the table saw. I attached cedar legs (scrap bin), and let it dry for a week or so.
I then arranged the branches in the approximate position that I wanted them in, and trimmed the bases at a slant. I drilled pilot holes and screwed the branches to the base with some 1 1/4 screws and wood glue. I then finished the base with Danish oil. The Christmas ornaments are not a permanent feature.
Thanks for looking,