Router Mortis Jig (Smart URB)

  • Advertise with us
Project by Lumberpunk posted 11-29-2014 10:44 PM 2758 views 11 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Last year I built the Smart URB (Ultimate Router Base)

I have a large bookcase project with 104 mortises (and 104 tenons) so I decided it would be a good idea to build a jig to speed up production. Since the Smart URB already has micro adjustablilty I thought it would be a good idea to incorporate it into the design.

The jig is based around a piece of 1 3/4” Birch with router t-track on the top edge and two routed into the work face. Sliding stops on the top edge limit router travel and overhang the edge by 1 1/2” on the work side to aid in leveling the workpiece Pic 2. The stops have blocks glued to the back edge to keep them square to the face when they are screwed down. A stop can also be fixed to the face for repeat cuts.

Once the stock is leveled and clamped (home made hold downs… something with cams coming soon) the URB sits on top and two accessory fences trap the router around the jig and the workpiece.

The bit can then be aligned with the mortise walls by using the micro adjust on the URB to dial the bit into place (pic 4 shows my new quick release system for rough adjustments. There are half nuts embedded at the end of the arms of the curvy piece, a bolt tightens and releases it from the threaded rod and a spring lifts it when released.)

After that is done the stops are set for the end of the mortise by lining up the bit with the layout lines and setting the stops on top of the jig.

Here it is set up and ready to route.

The whole jig rests on a wide plywood base for clamping to my bench and providing a flat surface for the anti-tip foot on the URB (pic 5)

Kerfs in the bottom of the jig provide clearance for extra clamps if needed (bottom of pic 2)

Pic 6 shows the results :). I cut two test mortises so far, (1/4” spiral upcut) 1 by going down 3/16 at a time and routing back and forth, which gave me a pretty sloppy mortise (.263 +/- .005), and one by repeatedly plunging full depth and then clearing out the waste which was much nicer (.251 +/- .002).

I think it would be pretty easy to convert the jig to cut tenons also but I am pretty happy doing them on the TS at the moment.

Please excuse the poor light. I am working on it :)

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

3 comments so far

View kiefer's profile


5621 posts in 2864 days

#1 posted 11-30-2014 12:45 AM

Had your thinking cap on when you designed this jig .
Well thought out and constructed with a lot of interesting details in the URB and mortising jig .
Great setup to get all those mortises done .
Good luck with the bookcase and post it when done .


-- Kiefer

View Lumberpunk's profile


334 posts in 2534 days

#2 posted 11-30-2014 02:00 AM

Ha yes it would be lovely to post some furniture… I do make some but pics are lacking to date.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

View mafe's profile


11741 posts in 3286 days

#3 posted 12-01-2014 01:36 PM

Looks good and like making life more easy. ;-)
Best thoughts,

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics