|Project by woodoogolem||posted 11-29-2014 07:13 PM||1444 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
I made a small series with different blade angles and sole profiles to try the feasability of custom configurations. The wood is wild service tree. Several coats of tung oil should make the surface a bit harder. For the blades I bought some 3mm tool steel which I cut to size and hardened in an old cooking pot using charcoal and a blow dryer. To my surprise it was quite easy to grind sharp but quarter-circle round edges.
The planes work quite fine but obviously are rather lightweight as they are even smaller than your average block plane. Also the mouths tended to clog due to the wedge, so I had to open them quite wide. But as the whole project was a success I will probably make some more with other profiles.