|Project by descolada||posted 11-24-2014 03:14 PM||2617 views||12 times favorited||20 comments|
This is definitely my most ambitious project yet, I starting working on the table top just over a year ago, and now that the set is complete I’m very happy with the pieces and how they fit together. I posted the table and a prototype chair when I finished them, but wanted a post for the whole set.
I’m going to blame the lathe I got just after finishing the table for the delay in the chairs ;-)
The table top is curly walnut sequence cut, surfaced to 1.5”, and then glued up. The breadboards come from the same tree (- the bubinga inlay) and are pegged in place. The finish started with shellac and dark walnut dye to accentuate the figure, followed by a few coats of arm-r-seal seal-a-cell and a few coats of waterlox original gloss. It took me a few tries to get a uniform coat of the waterlox over the full surface.
The chairs are walnut, joined with a domino, with ~3/8” steam-bent bubinga backs glued directly to the sides. The sides were joined square, then rough cut to shape with a bandsaw, and routed to the template. Once the sides were together and to shape, I used the smaller templates to make sure the dominos for cross rails were cut in the exact same place on each side. You can see them, along with the bending form finishing my last back below. Finish on the chairs is 4-5 coats of watco tung oil finish.