|Project by geekwoodworker||posted 11-22-2014 10:09 PM||4244 views||21 times favorited||9 comments|
So I finally decided to upgrade my dust collection by adding a cyclone and plumbing the shop to each tool. My old setup kept plugging up the filter canister and when the crank that helps clean out the filter broke I had to do something different. I used 4 ” PVC sewer pipe for it. I built all the blast gates and pipe brackets using Jay Bates design from http://jayscustomcreations.com/. I really like his design and it was very easy to build. The pipe brackets are great because I can use zap straps to hold the pipe even if it is sideways on the wall. (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/104455) (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/104298).
So a big thanks to Jay for that.
I had to build a box for the filter canister to be clamped to. It has a hinged door on the bottom that can be opened to clean the filter when required. I can still turn the filter flappers by opening the box and turning them with a pair of vice grips.
Here is a picture of my old setup. Yes that is a plastic bag for a cyclone and it worked great except all the dust went through blower first so fine dust particles would fill the filter reducing efficency.