|Project by Paul||posted 11-19-2014 04:26 AM||2756 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
I decided it was time to re work my current table saw. To start, I wanted more than the current 30” rip capacity on my Steel City saw. I looked my options over and decided that I could revamp the rails to get at least 40” or better.
After taking the rails off the front and the iron off the rear I figured all I needed was to replace the 1-1/4” angle iron on the rear and to simply drill new holes on the front rail support. Easy enough, this is when I figured out I would have a HUGE space open between the saws top and the position the fence would be extended out to the right.
My TS top is granite, not cast iron so drilling and tapping into the stone wasn’t an option. Instead I beefed up the out feed side angle iron to 1-1/2” and 1/8” steel iron and drilled the front rails to support the first 8 inches of table. I expected to need to fabricate some sort of leg support but it ended up being very sturdy.
For $15 of angle iron I extended my rip capacity to 42.75” to the right of the blade and added a new melamine table wrapped in maple (both were left over scraps) which I will eventually get around to dropping a router insert to.
Picture 6 is the before revamp table saw.
Picture 5 inadvertently shows what my shop looks like when I have 209 projects going on at once.
Thanks for looking,