|Project by Karson||posted 11-19-2014 01:43 AM||2426 views||2 times favorited||19 comments|
I volunteered to make one of the door prizes for our drawing at the Mason Dixon Woodworkers Banquet being held this Thursday Nov, 20th 2014.
Each year we try to get a couple of our woodworkers to make something to be used in our drawing.
I volunteered to make something.
I made a clock for myself many years ago out of some Cocobolo and Tiger Maple and I always loved that clock,
So I decided to make a new variation. I had some cherry burl and I ran across some nice Tiger Maple so I thought I bring them together.
The clock is made with 1” Tiger Maple with a 1/4” slice cut off to make the time ring and the back battery cover for the clock. The 5/8” piece left was cut into the “Comma” shape. Some cherry burl was cut into 5/16” thick for the center of the time ring. I used a 3” forstner bit to drill the hole for the clock motor in the Maple clock piece. I then used a small pattern router bit to cut a little deeper into the Cherry Burl face from the back to allow the clock motor to fit deeper into the clock. I didn’t want to use the forstner bit because i was afraid that if it hung up at all it would shatter the burl. So using the forstner bit i drilled a 3” hole into a 1/4” piece of MDF and hot melt glued it to the back of the clock so the bearing of the pattern bit had something to roll against. I then cut about 1/16” deeper into the back of the cherry burl to let the clock motor go below the surface of the clock back
I then started to look for a base and I found a piece of the cherry burl that was the outer burl covering. i cleaned it up a little and drilled 2- 1/4” holes to put he stanchions in.
I used a 1/4” dowel center to transfer the required hole marks on the clock piece.
I then looked around for stantion materials. I found some snakewood and cut a piece of 5/16” square to make the stand.
I used a 1/4” chisel to make the dowel holes square in both pieces and then used epoxy to glue the snakewood into the Cherry Burl base and also the Tiger Maple clock.
Finish was satin gel Poly top coat. It was applied with a paper towel, left for a minute or so and then wiped off. About 6 coats were applied.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †