LumberJocks

Doll Display Case

  • Advertise with us
Project by Gshepherd posted 11-13-2014 08:27 AM 1146 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I was asked by a Ex Wife if I could fix a doll case that was given to her by her Grandmother so I took on this task without not really knowing what to expect. When I recieved it the glass was broken and even more damage had taken place. So the only way to do this right was to start all over and build one. I had never made one before so as usual I just shot from the hip and this is the end result.

All of it is made from Santos Mahogany except for the trim on the top and bottom which is A. Mahogany. Santos is very dense and strong considering Hard Maple has a Janka rating of 1450 vs Santos’s 2200. The Corner pieces had to be very strong since they were only going to be 3/4×3/4 then have 2 channels cut into them for the 1/8 glass.

I didn’t like the idea of just usng screws to take the top off so I used a plate to hold the glass channels square then a 1 3/4 long cabinet knob screw to hold it all down. We found a better knob so she will replace the brass one when the other knob comes in. Just in case there was a unforseen problem when the glass got installed I made those cardboard panels to make sure everything was going to go well since I would be shippig this out. Everything fit like a charm. I was only off a couple dog hairs between front and back and side to side…..

It measures 10 3/4 wide and 22 inches tall.

The finsih is Transtint Reddish Brown followed up with 5 coats of Lacquer. She is now all boxed up and will be shipped out tomorrow to be enjoyed for another generation.

-- What we do in life will Echo through Eternity........





6 comments so far

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

17172 posts in 2570 days


#1 posted 11-13-2014 01:39 PM

Outstanding case!! You did a beautiful job on it!!......................Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View lysdexic's profile

lysdexic

5078 posts in 2088 days


#2 posted 11-13-2014 02:14 PM

So, did you reproduce the same joinery as the original?

-- I love Jeeps

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

8735 posts in 1905 days


#3 posted 11-13-2014 02:24 PM

It came out beautifully Shep.

-- ~Tony

View Gshepherd's profile

Gshepherd

1727 posts in 1666 days


#4 posted 11-13-2014 02:30 PM

Lysdexic, I did not, the corner joints were cut in a way that made them the weakest link. Notice the notches I made, I also pinned them and when I put the other trim made it even stronger imop of course…. Next time if there is one I will do a few things diffrent.

-- What we do in life will Echo through Eternity........

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

220 posts in 1635 days


#5 posted 11-13-2014 02:50 PM

Nice job but I am sure I follow the top anchor design. In your last photo, the screws are holding down the lid and then you have the finish lid on top of that? I like this because I may be doing something similar soon. Thanks.

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

View Gshepherd's profile

Gshepherd

1727 posts in 1666 days


#6 posted 11-13-2014 03:46 PM

Frank, You are correct, On the underside of the final lid I just used a 1/2 bit to make room for the nut.

One thing I might add is the notches in the base I first used a dado blade but did not like the darn ridges so I just used the saw blade as I sould have done before. A few test cuts to really dial it in so the corner braces did not interfer with the trim.

-- What we do in life will Echo through Eternity........

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com