|Project by AngieO||posted 11-11-2014 01:16 AM||4172 views||8 times favorited||27 comments|
So lets get this out of the way… I have a bit of a problem with wood. Anytime someone has a load of scraps it’s hard for me to turn them down. Over time though I started taking some things straight to my storage garage that is two minutes from my house. It’s become a bit of a mess and I’ve been trying to get it organized as part of organizing my shop. Because lets face it… there are tons of scraps in my shop at home so I need to get some of it out of the way so I can make some bigger projects.
Some may say wood hoarder… I choose to go with wood rescuer. So here are two pics of my rescued babies. I know. Such a mess! LOL. But I love it.
This first pic is the wall that I’m starting to build my first rack. (yes… this is one of two) It’s a little over 12’ from the wall to the window.
When I decided to make a lumber rack I of course did several searches. I think the design I ended up with is part Wood Whisperer, part April Wilkerson and part SalingandSuch (I know he’s on here but I don’t know his LJ name)
I started by cutting all my pieces.
This was DAY 1
Then one by one I started assembling the braces. Here’s what they look like. A 14.5” 2×4 sandwiched between two 1/2” plywood pieces. I cut an 8” square and then removed some of the material.
I cut 6 vertical pieces out of 2×2 material. I planned 4 rows so there are 24 brackets here. All this was made in my shop. I completed 14 during Day 1
This is DAY 2
Time to finish gluing and screwing the other 10 brackets and then off to the garage.
Here is the fun part. As someone did in the youtube videos I watched I did add a 2×2 along the wall at the base of all my vertical pieces. This did actually make things go much easier for me. Especially since I was by myself. I started with one vertical and three of the brackets.
Then I just moved onto the next one. After the first two were up… it made it easier to reach for my tools once I had a small shelf. LOL
And… voila!!!!! Then there were 6….. :)
Let me tell ya… this was hard. It was very hard. It was one of the harder projects that I’ve tackled. I didn’t have anyone to help me so it did take me a good while to complete this. I predrilled, then countersunk and then drove each screw. It was a monster. AND.. of course… one of my batteries died. That was not good. I did a lot of changing out the bits. And since my countersink bit wouldn’t work in my impact driver it was the one that sat out. Not sure my thinking there. It was very rewarding though. I dropped my kids off at school at 7:45, came home and piddled around for an hour and then started finishing my assembly. I was done by the time the kids got home from school. Massive job. VERY REWARDING!!!
How rewarding….??? Well this is after I got all the wood loaded up. I am THRILLED with it.
Look at all that floor space!!!!
Now you may be doing some quick math in your head and notice that I have the 6 verticals but only 3 rows. Well… I’m ALL ABOUT using what I have. And what I had was a stack of 2×3’s that were 48” long and I wanted my verticals to be 65”. So… I used what I had and then cut some smaller pieces to add. I haven’t added them yet. But I will be doing that later. For now… I’m pretty happy with this. ALL materials were from my rescued lumber pile. I did not buy anything. Didn’t even buy screws. Used what I had on hand. So my cost… two days of work. :)
Thanks for viewing my project. May not be pretty. But it’s pretty dang functional.