|Project by RussInMichigan||posted 11-07-2014 10:36 AM||1173 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
The spatula had a short black plastic handle on it. Said short black handle broke off as I was washing it, so rather than repairing a handle I didn’t care for I chose to replace it with a longer, more comfortable, and ever so slightly flashier one.
The replacement handle is made from bloodwood with a vein of chestnut running through it. I added brass pins matching the existing holes and cutouts on the tang. The tang was mortised into a 1/4” strip of bloodwood. Holes were drilled into that piece in the pattern on the tang. From there I stacked the chestnut veneer and the two strips of 1/4” bloodwood together and drilled the three holes through the sandwiched block. Then, I epoxied and clamped the whole thing up and added the brass pins. After the epoxy cured I sanded the handle blank flat.
I drew up a half pattern on a 3 by 5 card, folded it and cut out the full pattern. I traced the pattern onto the handle blank and cut it out on the scroll saw. Then, I went chisel-chisel-scrape-scrape-sand-sand up to 400 grit. I finished it with a few dousings of Watco’s Danish Oil.
It feels a lot better and looks a lot better than the inadequate original black plastic handle.
It won’t make the coffee cake taste any better, but it will give serving it a bit more flare.
Thanks for looking in, Lumberjocks.