|Project by Scooter McClain||posted 11-03-2014 03:24 AM||2208 views||7 times favorited||4 comments|
I almost feel like I should not post this one since there was zero cutting involved, but I’ll post it anyway. In that sense, it’s more of a craft piece than a woodworking piece in my opinion, but I did use my drill press, so it counts, right? :)
I saw this video of April Wilkerson’s DIY Wood Burned Growth Chart Ruler. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while but I have been feeling very uninspired until I saw this. We move around a lot as we are a military family, and growing up in an old colonial house in New England, my grandparents used to measure all the grand kids on a door frame. The house has long since been sold, and all those markings went with it, but I have wonderful warm memories of my grandmother marking us up on her wall.
About this project: I really didn’t do a whole heck of a lot of cutting with this one, in fact, I have only drilled three holes so far. Two 3/16” holes to mount this, and one 3/4” hole to put a 2014 penny to imbed the date in the back of it to date the project.
I used a piece of 12”x 1” x 72” pine that I picked up at the big box store. Honestly, it was milled well enough that it didn’t need any additional sanding, so I left it as-is to give it a bit more of a rustic feel. The wood burning was done as April showed in her video. I traced out 4” numbers from real house numbers (It would have cost me more in gas to run into town to buy stencils, and I lack a printer, so this became the best option) and the finish is cherry Danish oil, which I have been wanting to try out since Steve Ramsey was so smitten with it in recent videos. I can see why! It was super easy to use and apply. I used an old rag (incidentally, it was a pair of old underwear that came in the rag bag that I had, which I thought was funny. No, I don’t know who the owner was, lol, but there you have it! Great finished from old undies!) and applied it on as directed on the can. It couldn’t have been any simpler. I think it took about three hours tops to make this, and it will be one of those things that my wife and I will cherish.
Due to lacking the correct screws, it has not been mounted yet. The Big Box store opens at 8am, so I’ll head over then and get it up. It starts intentionally 6” up to allow for molding and quarter-round. We’ll use Sharpie to mark the kids heights-a little shortcut but something that will be readily at hand when the urge or occasion arises.
Again this is the least amount of wood cutting that I have ever done for a project, but it turned out fantastic. I finally have a little more time to get back into my shop so I hope to be cutting wood and making sawdust again very soon. Thanks April for the great idea and awesome video!
-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!