|Project by jcwalleye||posted 11-02-2014 08:43 PM||1248 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
Here are some pictures of an insert I built for a friends remodel. He was completely rebuilding a very old farm-house and wanted to replace a built in dresser that had fallen apart.
There was a lot of material to machine, the drawers are glued up hardwood. A fellow woodworker, Jenine, who I met through LJ was generous with her time and made that part of the job more enjoyable. We’ve since worked on a couple other projects.
The unit is made of rustic alder and shop grade maple plywood and was constructed in two parts. There were no straight lines or perpendicular angles to work with. I built templates to ensure there would be clearance. The top drawers are a bit short and sit between the stair stringers. The stringers weren’t straight.
The face frame was a single piece to make the unit look like one.
Getting all the drawer face gaps to be consistent was a real challenge as everything was different sized. The top two drawers are not the same size, though the drawer fronts are.
All in all, it turned out pretty good and the owner is happy with it.
Thanks for looking.
-- Trees, a wonderful gift --Joe--