|Project by BenI||posted 11-01-2014 09:54 PM||1423 views||8 times favorited||9 comments|
While visiting my sister and brother-in-law earlier in the year they mentioned how they didn’t have any good coasters and I mentioned I could make some. Due to a busy schedule and me agonizing over the design it took several months starting work on it but I eventually decided on a design and how to make it and this is the end result.
I used rabbets on the advice of fellow Lumberjocks and it seems to have worked very well and was pretty easy. Base ended up being a little more work than originally expected. Once I cut the corner pieces, they looked thick and unsightly so I filed grooves in them and smoothed it out to make it look more slim. Ended up being a very nice touch even if it was a last minute change.
Last two pictures are hopefully a way of showing how I attached the corner pieces on, easier to show than explain. Rabbet on the bottom of the base and groove in the side pieces. Made a notch in the base for the side pieces, hopefully makes more sense in the pictures. (5th picture would be a top view, last one would be from the bottom)
Coasters and about 4 1/4” square and 1/2” thick. Made from cherry, walnut and maple. Finished with 4 coasts of wipe on poly.
-- Ben from IL