|Project by blackwell||posted 11-01-2014 05:44 AM||1669 views||5 times favorited||3 comments|
I promised the wife a piano bench many moons ago. A few weeks back I stopped at my hardwood shop for inspiration. They had some curly cherry that just took my breath away. I bought a nice piece of 4/4 ~ 12” wide x 8’ long.
After a rough sketch on paper I had a basic plan, an 18” high x 16” deep x 32” long bench (I wanted my 2/yo daughter to fit on the bench at the same time). I had some 8/4 billets of maple left from a butcher block island (still ongoing) that made perfect legs. I also had some curly maple ~ 6” wide that went to the aprons. I used some curly maple to get the top out to 16” deep. The legs were mortised through on the center meaning the tenons would intersect inside the legs. Throughout the build I was unsure how I’d make them meet. I considered mitering the ends (a little short) and drawboring to pull them together. Played with the idea of biscuit joints too. I finally had an epiphany and decided box joints would provide maximum glue surface. So that’s what I did and I think it turned out nicely. It’s certainly sturdy.
It’s in my living room now sans-hinges because I haven’t found what I’m looking for. Until I do I have adhesive rubber bumpers along the frame to prevent the lid from sliding off. The wife loves it. Happy wife, happy life. Money well spent.
It’s been fun planning how to use the rest of the curly cherry.