|Project by MarkTheFiddler||posted 11-01-2014 02:29 AM||1149 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
Howdy my friends,
I’ve been working on a major project for a while and attempting a different finishing technique. Well – I’m going to take the finish off for a third time and do it the same way I have every other time. Therefore I offer up the wrestling match in it’s place.
This hunk of wood was a really rough short chunk of maple at Rockler. It was badly warped but marked at 1 dollar. I studied the curl near the knot and I could see some magic happening there. I had to get it.
That cross stitch pattern was something I did about 12 years ago when I was very sick for a long time. My wife has been urging me to frame it for years. When it bubbled up to the top of the framing projects, I inspected every hunk of wood I had at least 3 times before I took a serious look at this one. There was exactly enough to make this frame. I thought the cross-stitch and the maple needed to go together somehow.
And Then – I blew it!!!!
Yep I cut the lengths and rabbits (sp?) carefully. I got out my miter jig and focused on what I was doing then cut the very first danged, son of a biscuit eating miter the wrong way against the rabbit!!! GRRRRRR!!!! ;) That is precisely why the left hand side of the main image reveals a very poorly matched glue up.
I may have said that the wood was un-planed and warped? I put most of the sins on the back and bottom side of the frame. Still, the mitered corners are not perfect but they fit pretty well despite trying to guess how I should tweak the table saw blade angle to help close what may have been a much bigger gap. I was shaving 32nd’s of a inch off at a time because that all I dared cut. I only had 3/8 inch to play with on the total length of the wood.
And yet.. this is my favorite frame despite the patched up side and the in-precise miters. I have stared at the wood figuring for hours and played the light against the curl to watch the wood transform like a precious Gem. I’ll learn to laugh at my reversed miter cut and I’ll tell the story how I refused to let this hunk of wood fuel the fireplace.
Sanded at 60, 80, 150, 220 and 320.
Raised the grain after 150 and 320 with water.
Hand rubbed with tung oil three times then hand rubbed once again 24 hours after the last application.
2 coats of General Finishes oil and urethane topcoat/clear gloss.
Scuffed with 220 grit between those coats and 320 after the second.
Final coat is General Finishes oil and urethane topcoat/ clear satin.
I’ll try to have my next major project done in a week. Heck, the redo’s on the finish have allowed me to get another major project well under way.
Thanks for reading and I apologize for being absent from Lumberjocks. All I can say is life happens. I know you all understand. I’ll catch up on your projects soon. I can use the inspiration. ;)
-- Thanks for all the lessons!