|Project by Mark Kornell||posted 10-26-2014 11:31 PM||5269 views||6 times favorited||11 comments|
Here’s the box I did for the box swap:
Made from African mahogany and walnut, with a bit of wenge. I’ve had this piece of mahogany kicking around for 5 years or so, waiting for a suitable project. Not that there’s anything really special about African mahogany, but I didn’t want to throw it out. This swap came along and it happens to be a perfect size. It started as a piece 8/4 thick which I bandsawed into three planks. Allowing for sawing and planing losses, I was easily able to get three planks at 1/2” thick.
Straightforward finger joint construction for the main part of the box.
The bottom of the box is an inset panel. The wenge stripes looks cool, but exist purely because the piece of mahogany was too narrow to form the bottom on its own and I didn’t want to shorten the short sides.
The top is made from walnut.
The arch of the top was done with a couple of my hand planes. Project like this are great excuses to practise shaping a curve by hand and eye. Deliberately not shaped to match the profile of the side.
I’ve had the design for the handle kicking around in my head for months and finally got to try it out. Started with a piece about 1” x 1” in cross section and cut out the shape using cabriole leg-style technique on the bandsaw. A bit tricky due to the small size, but doable. After making the 4 cuts, it was sandpaper to smooth it out and radius the edges. I probably put as much time into the handle as I did on the rest of the box.
And finally, a “wet” image.
The pieces immediately after the second (of two) coats of tung oil. It really brings out the chatoyance of the QS ribbon grain of the mahogany.
After the oil had dried, I gave it a coat of wax. Doesn’t add any protection, but sure makes it feel nice.
(Hey! You can see pieces from my bathroom vanity rebuild in that last pic)
-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design