|Project by Gianni||posted 10-25-2014 11:19 AM||776 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
Well, we had a pumpkin decorating contest amongst our work teams last week, and since I’m a bit on the competitive side, I thought we would take it up a notch or two. Our scheme was “evil pumpkin smashing pumpkins” which won out over several other ideas.
To do the large pumpkin, I glued up some scrap plywood (another scrap project!) to get about a 2” thickness, freehad drew the skeleton arms and cut them out on the band saw. I used my large mallet to set the grip on the right arm to a tight friction fit. Once I had them cut, I used the scroll saw to cut the gap in the bones for the forearm and my newly minted carving station to shape the hands and joints. I painted them white and grabbed the airbrush to color them up. They turned out even better than expected.
To attach them, I drilled a hole through the shoulder for a 5/16 carriage bolt about 4” long. Since the mallet was so heavy, I drilled from the “pumpkin side” and epoxied in two roofing nails, which I then cut the heads off to create pins that would stick into the pumpkin flesh to keep them from rotating. To keep the nut from pulling through the pumpkin, we used large wooden washers cut on my circle jig. We weren’t sure of the final dimensions of out pumpkin, so I just cut a bunch of them ranging from about 2-5” in diameter.
The last step was to cut a plywood jellybean shape so that our smooshed guy could be easily transported to the judging location. A little black spraypaint and off we went. The other teams had some pretty good entries, but we ended up edging them for first prize.