|Project by jeff_wenz||posted 10-22-2014 03:55 PM||3512 views||9 times favorited||17 comments|
My buddy thought it would be a good idea to challenge my woodworking skills by building an instrument (one I don’t play but he does…). I am naive, so I agreed.
I chose the use the Grizzly Telecaster kit. The body is made of ash. It has a maple neck. For less than $150, I was impressed with what I received. I used the neck, body, screws and tuners. Everything else was pretty much upgraded or customized.
I am into veneering, so I knew I wanted to change the appearance. I used a blue veneer on the front and an ebony and blue veneer pattern on the back. Many have told me they like the ebony veneer just as much (if not more) than the blue. I also learned how to route a binding channel and work with plastic binding. The finish is approximately 10 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer that is wet sanded and buffed. Finishing is my weakness and although I learned a lot, it is still the weakest portion of this project, in my opinion.
After completing the guitar, I took it to a luthier who did the final setup. This was well worth the cost of $70 as his attention to detail made me appear to my guitar playing friends like an expert guitar builder.
The guitar has been played may times at my church and other local churches. Seeing someone else make art (music) by using your art (guitar) as a tool is very fulfilling.
I learned a lot about guitars. Working from a kit was helpful. I created some templates at the beginning so I have the option of venturing out in the future without a kit.
Here is a video of a friend playing the guitar prior to a luthier setting up the guitar and fixing the intonation.
If I failed to mention any details, please ask in the comments section. I enjoy sharing my lessons learned.
-- Jeff, North Carolina