|Project by robscastle||posted 10-20-2014 09:17 PM||1797 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
Here is a very deceptive piece of timber I obtained from LLWW last week its almost what you could call “ugly” and not even take a second look, anyway I wondered what I could make out of using the best of its existing shape.
I ran a tape measure across it and found with a bit of cosmetic surgery I could fit it in my thicknesser.
It was flat enough to just feed it in so off it went.
I thicknesses it to the max on the thinest side to get a maximun possible width result
I then marked out the key shape and introduced it to the bandsaw, keeping in mind I removed as little material as possible, the round end was again at the maximum size and the key teeth profiles followed the natural curve of the timber.
I then placed it on a backboard and used my shaper to cut the key grooves in.
It was quite hot when I was doing it and the picture of the wavey shaper bed and cutter must be heat shimmer, a really weird effect on the photo. (Maybe those with camera experience can explain).
The usual sanding followed and I found a really nice piece of timber has emerged.
I was going to just fill the end splits with some of my trusty timbermate filler but decided to give the worst three of them some “implants”, ...must have been watching some inappropiate websites earlier !
I did a blog on how this was performed so go check it out if its a subject you are interested in.
Ed Note: Patron has enlightened me that my “implants” are actually called “Dutchmen” so there you go.
The pegs were inserted at 40mm spacings staggered at 20mm a bit to close for my liking but I didnt realise my error until glue up stage and it was too late to try and fix it then.
Final finish was with a can of satin clear.
A nice result from European Walnut, I am again amazed as what detail hides below the surface of what looks to be “just a piece of timber”.
-- Regards Robert