|Project by AandCstyle||posted 10-18-2014 09:47 PM||4158 views||24 times favorited||33 comments|
This is my rendition of the named piece. The main challenge presented is the overall size-it measures about 7’ L by 3’ D by 2.5’ H. Due to the size and not wanting any unfinished areas to show with seasonal movement by the panels, I finished each piece separately, except the 3 pieces for the top were glued, then finished as a single unit.
The actual construction is pretty straight forward-floating tenons for the rails and stub tenons & grooves for most everything else. LOML wants a single cushion for the bottom, so I ended up attaching the top with figure 8 connectors so the top can be removed to drop the bottom cushion into position. There will be cushions across the back and sides once the upholsterer completes the job (3 months waiting list – ugh).
There are 4 ways to make seat cushions-plywood, nylon straps, zigzag springs and coil springs. We elected to use the zigzag springs. This was a first for me and I will be able to do better next time. The steel is 8 gauge and cuts with bolt cutters. The end clips attach with 1 screw, then the spring is stretched across and slid into place, finally the 2 additional screws are added to each clip.
If you decide to do this, be certain to add the center brace before stretching the springs. I pulled the 1”x4” oak frame about 3/4” together in the center of the frame and had a heck of a time getting it back to almost square.
The finish is all Target Coatings products. WR40xx (linseed oil to pop the grain) with TransTint dye added was brushed on and wiped off, then sprayed EM1000 (sanding sealer to give a little more depth) and finally EM6000 (lacquer).
Finally, I want to mention and thank Michael Mastin of McKinney Hardwoods for the great figure in the qswo he sent me. To me that is what really makes this project shine.
Thanks for any comments.