|Project by chem||posted 10-16-2014 01:45 AM||1191 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
This is my latest and biggest project. The wood is urban lumber with a large walnut slab on a tulip poplar base. The poplar was a single gnarly mineral stained and heavily cracked piece of misery. By the end of the project it was 25% cyanoacrylate by weight (give or take a bit). I learned a few things. Walnut is very heavy. Poplar is very light. The Festool ETS 125 is an amazing product (no scratch marks with 80 grit is a non-intuitive but delightful result). I am not very good at cutting mortises much less large mortises. My hollow chisel mortiser is not up to the task. It was also my first time with Minwax polyurethane (inspired by a recent FWW article). May be my last time. I put it over a couple coats of Arm-R-Seal to try to get some depth. The top is attached to the base with 4 huge Spax screws. No other metal.
-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting