|Project by KelSnake||posted 10-15-2014 12:56 PM||1154 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
The Eagle Nest Chest
I have been adding a combination locking system to hope chests for some time now and one day a fella commented that he would like to see the dials hidden behind a false panel, that it too would be locked from access.
How it works: The nest sitting on top of the chest holds three fake bird eggs, a wooden craft store egg painted to look like the real thing. Inside one of them is a very strong neo magnet, simply wave it over the “sweet spot” on the false pannel and it can be removed. The mechanism itself is a converted “TOT LOK”, easily found online. The Golden feather seen in the center of the Hawks head is the key to finding the solution to the coded combination locking system being hidden behind the panel. A carefully crafted and hidden bottom drawer can be found at the bottom of the chest, but only after lifting the locking pin found behind the false panel.
For simplicity sake, I bought prelaminated Pine from my local Home Depot for the large panels needed. For the top lid I used a piece of 3/4” veneer plywood so that it will never warp or have any shrinkage, all edges wrapped in 1/2” pine strips. I like the way some construction details can show up through paint, I used large finger jointed corners on this chest. Three coats of red paint (why red? ...a certain percentage of women go through a “red” phase, and well, it pops more I guess), there is woodburning in the panel as well as in the bottom trim design. I learned a long time ago that a wood burned line works great for making a division that stain won’t cross. The circles seen in the bottom trim design are 1” mother of pearl discs found in craft store. On the side are some very huge handles sourced online from Richeleau. I tend to like to rusticise (ya, not sure thats a word) my painted pieces, after all its not long before it gets its knocks in life anyway. After three coats of red paint I distress sanded the corners and copied typical wear patterns. After that I hit the whole outside with a rag of Puritin Pine coloured wood stain, it darkens the paint and makes it look like the stain is underneath the paint, making it look older. Once dry I applied several semi-gloss coats of polyurethane. Once all that was dry I installed the interior of the chest with Aromatic Cedar.
I didn’t make this piece for a customer specifically, but rather thought I might take it to the local art gallery, ..it was only there for a few weeks before it found a new home. : )
If you would like to see a video demonstration of this chest, check out this You Tube video – https://www.youtube.com/user/SoulTreeCreations/videos
TOT LOK link >> http://www.tot-lok.com/
If your interested in making one like it, you can find easy to follow, step by step plans by clicking the link to my site below.
-- Kel Snake, ~ Mystery By Design ~ http://www.woodlockplans.ca