|Project by CM02WS6||posted 10-14-2014 05:17 PM||913 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
This was my first “real” hardwood project after buying my first table saw. At times I thought it was a bit too much to tackle given the angled legs, but I just made some jigs to guide the process and it turned out good. This is based on plans I found online from an old American Woodworker article, but scaled to the dimensions I wanted. These are 30” high and the legs are angled at 4 degrees. The finish is General Finishes Prairie Wheat gel stain, topped with Satin Arm-R-Seal.
I learned a lot in this process and it is crazy (frustrating?) to think how much better it would have turned out if I had started with the tools that I procured throughout the project. For example, the wood is the “random” pile from Menard’s, which is supposed to be S2S, but it still has a very wavy surface. Even thought I sanded it a bunch, the planer I got for Father’s Day would have taken care of that. Also, the legs are two pieces of that 3/4” stock glued together, but again, the planer would have taken care of some 8/4 stock to make solid legs. The curved bottom cuts would have also been a lot easier with the plunge router I have now. Finally, it may not be a tool, but I felt I tackled a lot of new techniques on the project so I decided to use pocket hole screws and plugs instead of learning the M&T joints that the plans used. They are holding up really well after 4 months, but I guess time will tell!