|Project by timbertailor||posted 10-12-2014 05:45 PM||4368 views||12 times favorited||30 comments|
I recently upgraded my dust collection system and I am now going back and retrofitting all my power tools to accommodate the larger 4” dust ports. The router table was the first tool to go under the knife. I also did the radial arm saw.
My Delta Professional (36-650) contractor’s table saw has never had proper dust collection so this was a project long overdue.
The bottom is a drawer for my push sticks, inserts, and all sorts of wood jigs. I built a hanger for my EB-3 miter gauge. I can not tell you how happy I am to finally have a place to put it and not have it get in the way. I also found a spot for my aluminium straight\angle line jig.
This is a temporary fix until I move and install an Incra LS TS Fence System for better accuracy and a much wider rip capacity.
The bottom is built with a 3” torsion box using 1/2” Birch plywood to prevent sagging over time. The carcass is made from 3/4” Birch plywood. I am not going to miss tightening the eight bolts to the legs any more or the racking that followed, when they worked their way loose. It is now far more solid and the racking issue has disappeared. And, as with most of my projects, it contains no nails or screws. It was simply glued together and clamped. See my Woodpecker's aluminium box clamp review pictured in the third frame, if so inclined.
I painted it with some latex paint afterwards to reduce the affects of humidity.
Any suggestions on how to seal up the rear motor area are welcome. I am still scratching my head on the best way to seal this area up. (Updated pictures to show you what I came up with for the rear of the table saw.) I used magnets, as some of you had suggested, to hold in place. I wanted to keep the motor out of the saw dust so that is the principle behind its design.
Update: I can not believe how much more stable this platform is than the factory leg support. It is a night and day difference. I also am noticing how much cleaner the shop is staying and how little clean up I am having to perform.
I also thought the front looked kind of stark, so I thought I would dress it up a little with the mfg’s logo.
-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed