|Project by jeffswildwood||posted 10-10-2014 07:08 PM||1478 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
This is my entry for the 2014 box swap. Right now it is on it’s way to Jeff (jmartel) and I hope he really likes it. It’s made from walnut and poplar, an odd choice but seemed to work. The walnut is cut 3/4 thick by one inch with 1/4 panels recesses in a 1/4 inch groove inside. The four sides are made into four frames and cut to 45 for assembly. The key to strength is the sides of the panels, the small part. It has a 1/4 inch channel and a tenon to hold all this together. This way I don’t have just end grain to fight but surface grain for the titebond to work. For the lid I cut a rabbet and put in a poplar accent border with the front worked for a thumb lift. The tray is poplar. I assembled sides and bottom with rabbet joinery. Bottom is lined with 1/8 inch thick strips of walnut edge glued together to resemble a “hardwood floor”.
About the wood, The walnut was a gift from my neighbor when he found out I was doing this. It’s from a tree he cut down in 2000 and has been in his shop since. He gave me two slabs of walnut and two slab of oak just as old. The poplar on the lid I had hid back about nine months ago due to the interesting pattern it had. I thought it would make a nice box top then and just saved it.
I used formby tung oil for the finish. First time I have tried this product and I kinda like it so far. The bottom is lined with light brown felt.
I really enjoyed being a part of this swap and got to put all my skills to the test. I even had to learn a few new tricks. The final picture is my big grey cat Prancer giving his approval :)
I also want to thank jmartel for sponsoring this swap! Thanks guy! I have another box to post but it has a gift inside and I want to wait until it arrives so you have a surprise.
Thanks for looking.
-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way thats says "I meant to do that".