|Project by Keith Fenton||posted 10-10-2014 02:46 AM||1667 views||5 times favorited||15 comments|
This project (The one shown in the first picture) was my prototype for a series of patterns that I have started designing.
In the past, when designing word art patterns, I have always been limited in how much I can fit on one board before either the board gets too big to swing around on the scroll saw, or the words get too small to cut. I personally feel that anything longer than 16” is just not fun to cut and actually prefer a bit smaller than that. Also, in the other dimension, I don’t like to ever make a project that requires larger than a 10” wide board when using hardwood and I actually try to stay under 8” as much as I can.
I’ve had it in mind for a while now to try and come up with a nice way to do larger sectional word art projects that are relatively easy to cut, as well as straightforward to assemble. I had several ideas for joining the sections but this is the method that I settled on since it is very easy and I think it looks great.
First step, of course, is to cut each individual section on the scroll saw. I use ~3/8” thick maple. I also cut 1-1/4” wide strips from the same maple to use at the slats in the back, as well as a small rectangular block to go behind the uppermost plaque in order to attach a hanger.
Each plaque also has a 1/8” plywood backer that I cut from Baltic birch. The backers are slightly smaller than the plaques so that the edges don’t have to match up perfectly.
The slat pieces and the backers were painted. I chose a dark brown DecoArt Americana color called Asphaltum.
I actually varnish the backers and the back of the plaques before gluing anything so that I can spray into the fretwork from the backside and get better coverage. It’s not perfect, but it allows me to spray in there better than if I had just done it from the front. Once all that paint and varnish is dry, I glue the backers onto each section.
Once the backers are glued on, I then needed a way to line up and also to space the individual sections evenly. To do this, I used some straight edged wood on either side of the assembly, and I used some 1/4” dowels in between each section as you can see in the photo below. (You need a nice flat surface for this to work.)
Once everything is set up like this, I can push in both directions onto the assembly and the sections line up quite nicely.
I marked my locations for the slat pieces and glued them in place on the back.
Finally I glued the block that would hold the hanger onto the uppermost section.
I was very happy with the result, and I plan to design a lot of these. As I mentioned in the beginning, this project was a prototype and I wound up changing one of the sections a little in the final design for my pattern as you can see in the second photo in the gallery. So far, I only have those three patterns available, but I plan to design another batch over the next couple weeks because it seems that people are liking them. I am also expecting to do many non-religious ones as well so that everyone can enjoy them!
Thanks for looking!
-- Scroll saw patterns @ http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com