|Project by timbertailor||posted 10-07-2014 04:44 PM||10143 views||62 times favorited||30 comments|
I have a two car garage that I must share with one of our vehicles, so everything is on wheels to make moving things easier. This dust collector is no different, with locking caster, as well. I have very little space for more tools until I move so everything must make the best use of the square footage a tool must take up on my shop floor.
After reviewing many designs on the internet, I have tried to incorporate all the things that people wished they had changed or addressed.
I added a wooden rod under the filter and attached the filter to the rod. Many complained that attaching the turn buckles directly to the filter inlet housing caused distortions of the flimsy sheet metal it was meant to attach to. I also added a piece of plywood under the filter to provide a flat surface for the filter to seal against. I then took silicone to every crack and crevice, and bolt hole to prevent fine dust from escaping.
I completely eliminated the plastic catch bag and made room for my Rigid shop vac. I bought a second hose and now I can run the exhaust of the shop vac back into the Thien Cyclone\Separator (you really do not want to be blowing the finer particles back into the shop after all this work to remove them).
I made a drawer for all the extra vac accessories and clamps. If dust build up become a problem, I designed the drawer to act as a dust collector in the future, should the space provided for fines is not adequate. So far, the cyclone removes 99% with little or nothing gathering below the filter.
This is my first pocket hole project and scrap wood project. Something that is very difficult for me, if you knew my personality. I am moving so using up a bunch of scrap was a good thing.
I also recycled parts from the Central Machinery DC Kit. The handle for the drawer came in the kit, and I used one of the metal support bars to make a mechanism to prevent the clamps from getting knocked off the cart.
The cart houses all my vacuum hoses, electrical cords, compressor air hoses, shop drop lights, and various straight edges and squares.
I added a power strip outlet for convenience.
To improve performance, I have removed almost 3 feet of 5” hose from the system, and ran a 5” outlet straight out into the Thien Cyclone. I used four inch hose everywhere else. I also added the Wynn Environmental 0.5 micron filter and removed the screen inlet to the blower. A metal trash can was used to avoid wall collapse that has been known to occur with plastic cans.
The bottom of the cart uses a torsion box to provide adequate support.
Over 100 pocket screws later and a tube of silicone, she runs great and holds a bunch of things that never really had a proper home.
I still have the whole back and side of the cart for more clamps, should I be so lucky to expand my collection that far.
Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your interest.
-- Brad, Texas, https://www.youtube.com/user/tonkatoytruck/feed