Gavel Block for a Mason

  • Advertise with us
Project by DaveTPilot posted 10-04-2014 08:21 PM 910 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hi Guys,

I was asked by my mother-in-law to make a gavel block for my father-in-law. He is becoming Master of the Lodge and was already given a gavel for another honor.

She said to just grab a block of scrap wood and throw something together real quick. Nothing fancy, just something with a side to which she could possibly add a name plate.

She knows me better than that after 12 years of marriage to her daughter. I hope she and he like it.

Wood: Jatoba (A small square block I bought years ago from the “scrap bin” at Woodcraft. I knew I’d use it one day.)

Process: I used a circle cutter on my drill press to mark the outside diameter and to give me a line to work up to with my plunge router. I just free-handed it. That always makes me nervous but since I was doing the recess first, a screw up would be easy to start over.

After cutting the circular recess, I squared the block making the circle dead center. Then I cut the legs by making several passes over the table saw with my dado stack installed. Leaving the fence in the same spot and starting with a square block, the legs are all the same size. I beveled the edges with the router table. I then cut the grooves at the top of the legs to give them some definition using a v-groove bit on the router table.

I installed the emblem with some epoxy and filled the recess with Glaze Coat so the emblem sits below the surface. I finished the rest of the block with Glaze Coat as well.

Problems: Glaze Coat can be a real pain in the A$$ to work with. Even after 2 pours, there were some major blemishes. The stuff seems to just arbitrarily decide it will not flow into a given area and leave a crater. I missed it before it dried. I don’t know how for the life of me as I studied it very closely under all kinds of lighting including natural light. I did my entire counter top at my old house an didn’t have this much trouble.

The Cure: I wet sanded the top and any drips with 180 grit then followed with 600 grit. I then tried coating it with a water based poly but it came out awful. Did not level and left streak marks from the brush. I then remembered that you are not supposed to use a brush with water based poly. D’oh! I just read that a few weeks ago too!

Back to sanding. this time only with 600 wet paper. I was out of time and left with a relatively smooth but very dull surface. Out of desperation, I grabbed my can of Clear Gloss Spray Lacquer. I had to spray outside but it was humid as all heck in SWFLA. When I sprayed it, it looked awesome for 10 seconds then clouded badly. I quickly brought it into the 76 degree A/C cooled house. It dried perfectly clear in about 5 minutes or less.

I hit it with a second coat and the same thing happened but the results were the same also. Very happy. Crisis averted. :)

-- How valuable is time to a person who spends his disparaging the beliefs of others? --David Berthelette

2 comments so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

9325 posts in 3474 days

#1 posted 10-05-2014 04:10 AM

Very COOL!

They will LOVE it!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View Roger's profile


19714 posts in 2226 days

#2 posted 10-05-2014 01:37 PM

Nicely done.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics