|Project by athomas5009||posted 10-03-2014 11:12 PM||1366 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This is my 1st crosscut sled I originally had wanted to make an adjustable one with a boxjoint add-on but after a little research I decided less complicated dedicated sleds was a safer route. I used 3/4” Bbirch and hardy board for the bed. The fences were constructed with by laminating some red oak and maple. The runners were milled from some scrap Mae stock. The sled was finished with home brew poly/BLO/turps 40/35/25 and coated with some pastewax.
The last pic was of a very close call I had while calibrating the fences. I wasn’t used to how hidden the blade looks while using a crosscut sled and nicked my finger pretty good. That happens during my 1st round of the 5-cut method which showed an error of .01 over 96”. Not too bad but I wanted to be in the .005 range minimum and plus the close call with my finger made me even more determined to do so lol. So I grabbed a clean shop towel and wrapped my finger, made the necessary adjustments and began round 2 of the 5 cut method. This time I was able to get within .00125 so I said good enough and headed up to the ER to get patched up.
-- Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on.