|Project by robscastle||posted 10-03-2014 09:22 AM||1543 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I had a task to improve the garden beds from the Chief
As I had a stash of lumber next to the fence I set to work.
I cut the stock into 24 pieces 12×800mm and12 x 1000mm
Ran them through the saw to true them all up.
I initally tried to cut the rabbet in with the table saw but gave that idea away very quickly.
I made a jig, and its a basic item that slips over the ends of the 1000mm pieces and with a straight edge bit with a patern following bearing I cut the rabbets in too easy.
The it was a simple tap together and insert screws.
I used decking screws to assembe them and found I needed to lubricate the screws so they would go in without burning out my drill.
A fairly weighty project ( at 25Kgs each) and not the usual run of the mill boxes in fact I almost crushed a finger in the assembly process.
No chance of anybody nicking them!
Not sure what it was possily an oak or a gum, Its definately a hardwood, .. I know one was a piece of Jarrah as soon as you pick the sucker up you know its something different, even the saw feed rate was noticably slower.
Have a look at the seventh picture and make a valued guestimate
the timber was a “collect and its yours” so no direct cost there.
Screws $22.00 and a good half a day to prepare and construct
Screw driver drill
Router and associated bit
Custom made jig.
Along with the usual mark out and measuring items.
an additional picture showing the rabbet.
All that needs to be done now is the final positioning by “The Boss” and fill them up with soil.
-- Regards Robert